Friday, September 23, 2011

New Belgium Brewing Company: Lips of Faith Kick

After such a long day at work, I think it's time to wind down with a new brew that I'm, quite honestly, excited to try. New Belgium's Lips of Faith series has yet to disappoint my taste buds, and I highly doubt this one will be the first. This ale is 75% brewed with pumpkin and cranberry juice, 25% ale aged in wooden barrels. Ranking in at 8.5%, I have high hopes.



It pours a nice golden color with an egg-white colored head. Malty sweet aromas come off the nose with some spices as well. I do get some pumpkin off the nose, but nothing like Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin. Time to taste...

Oh my! It's a sour! If you enjoy sours, you will love this. On the front of the tongue I get all the tartness I would expect from a sour. The tartness brings out a bitter cranberry flavor with is actually quite balanced and pleasant. As the beer warms, the tart cranberry gives way to the pumpkin as the recognizable flavors seem to switch. The warmer it is, the more pumpkin I taste. I like this a lot. Overall I'm quite pleased with how well balanced this ale is. I didn't expect it to be a sour, but the wooden barrels obviously did their job well. What is so impressive about this beer is that it's 8.5% ABV. Most sours tend to be in the 5-6, maybe 7, range in terms of ABV. Obviously there are many exceptions to this non-intentional grouping of "sours," but something at 8.5% does indeed stand out when you don't taste any alcohol in the beer. Go buy one and enjoy it! It won't be around for long, I can promise you that. Well done, New Belgium.