Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pretty Things Beer and Ale Project: Hedgerow Bitter

Oh, Pretty Things! Personally, I have become quite the fan of Pretty Things. The first time I had one of their beers was at Stone Bistro and Gardens. I was there with some friends, and I discovered that they specifically preferred saisons over any other style of brew. I quickly gathered the bottle list and picked a saison for us all to try. It was Pretty Things' Jack D'Or. I had no idea it was their staple brew, but nevertheless, all four of us enjoyed it greatly. One thing I like about this brewery is their sticker over the bottle cap. A minute detail, yes, yet I still love finding that sticker on every bottle of Pretty Things I pick up. Here's why: it difereciates their bottles from any other bottle on the shelf. Their artistic labels may blend in with other labels if you aren't looking carefully. However, you know it's a Pretty Things bottle by looking at the neck and top of the bottle. You will find the teal band with red flowers and the Pretty Things shield on top.



Now that I've effectively shown my appreciation for the "Beer and Ale Project" myself, it's time to get to the beer. The beer pours a golden light amber color with about an inch of head, with decent head retention on the glass. The aromas present are slightly spicy with hints of clove and yeasty fruit (similar to that presented in aromas from a Belgian yeast strain). I don't get much hop character in the aroma.

The flavor is dead on, as it reminds me of an English style bitter pub ale (and yes I know that is what these brewers are going for). I would say that this beer "tastes as it smells," but I feel that doesn't effectively describe it because of the minuscule bitter aspect of the beer! The bitter dryness presented in these types of beers is nothing like the West Coast hoppy bitterness that breweries don't let us forget out here. It's nice to have something different, while still classic, from Massachusetts. Additionally, though, as you progress in drinking the beer the bitterness seems to fade away as the tongue gets used to it. It still lingers in the aftertaste, but it's not as predominant as it was upon first tasting the brew.

Go get some of their brews if you can find them. They're worth it in my regard. I like it, Pretty Things. I have three more of your beers to enjoy soon. I'm most looking forward to "Our Finest Regards," as barley wine-styled ales are quite the favorite of mine. Folks, I'm spending my Thursday evening enjoying Pretty Things; I hope you are spending your Thursday in similar fashion.