Thursday, February 21, 2013

Dogfish Head: Noble Rot

I've wanted to try this beer since I saw the video that Dogfish Head posted when they were finalizing the process. They showed the trip that Sam took, the abundance of must, and discussed the complexity of making such a brew. They described it as something relating to being the closest thing to a 50/50 hybrid of beer and wine.

Now, I've had a lot of beers that have been brewed, aged, or both, within the wine world in regards to ingredients and barrels. A number of beers are aged in red wine barrels, some sours are aged in Chardonnay casks, etc. The list really can go on and on, but excluding this beer, when was the last time you heard of brewing with grape must? The last beer I had that I immediately thought, "Oh man, I'd give this to a white wine drinker and they'd be hooked," was The Bruery's White Oak (the original batch). I bought it in 2009, and finally popped it open in October 2011. I figured approximately 2 years was best because that's what the back of the bottle suggested, and boy, was it perfect. It was clean, acidic but buttery, and was definitely worth the wait. Here is the picture I took the night I had it:

It may not look like much, but it was very much relatable to the flavor profile of a white wine. I'm 99.9% positive that this is because I let it sit and mellow out for two years. I remember hearing how boozy and bourbon-overpowering it was back when it was first bottled. The vanilla and bourbon melded into a very different flavor during those years, which I feel attributed to its "winesque" nature. Anyways, that was the last one where I really thought that it would be a great "hybrid." This leads me to the Dogfish Head Noble Rot. I thought that the Noble Rot would be pretty similar to that, in one way or another. I know that some of the Russian River sours I've had also share a similar flavor profile; this is especially true because of they were sours and were aged in wine barrels or oak casks.

Upon opening the Noble Rot and carefully pouring it into my Dogfish Head goblet/chalice, the beer is clean. Americans love "clear beer," and this is no exception. However, I'm sure if I wasn't very careful some things may have been shaken up a bit. I don't see sediment on the bottom of the bottle, but it may be minimal. Either way, the beer pours a light straw color that is reminiscent of the now defunct Moonshot (sorry Rhonda). I'll be perfectly honest: I'm surprised by the color. I understand that this is somewhat of a Saison, but I really thought it would be darker because of the must. Also, I think the bluish-purple bleed down the bottle on the label may have affected how I had pictured the beer.

That is not an optical illusion, folks. The beer really is that light. The aromas coming off of this are very similar to a farmhouse ale. The funky, yet balanced, fruity aromas blend with the aromas of a white grape juice. The only difference here is that this should not be filtered and pasteurized like a white grape juice. Knowing (not personally) Sam, I bet he left all of the gritty pieces and stems in while he brewed. It's what he does. Remember the bees in the honey? Anyways, time to swirl it around and give it a sip.

Immediately, and I mean immediately, the bitter grapes hit the tongue. I've let this warm up quite a bit, so I begin to cough a bit the same way I do when I take a big swig of white wine that has migrated more towards room temperature. Does it taste more like a wine than a beer? No. Does it taste more like a beer than a wine? Not at all. I am appalled--yet I really don't know why I should be--that Sam could do this. This brew is so original and funky, and I love it!

This is most definitely not an everyday beer. This is something to drink for a special occasion; yet if you can get your hands on one, I suggest you do so and save it for such an occasion. It'll surprise both your diehard beer-drinking buddies and your "I don't like beer," friends. Technically this is a beer, but the complexity in aroma and flavor will make many think twice about what it really is. Serve it up with some friends and discuss how awesome life is. Cheers!