Saturday, October 16, 2010

Official Post: Great Divide Brewing Company

I have had the blessing of discovering the Great Divide Brewing Co. from Denver, CO. I've only had this one delicious brew from them so far, yet it is a good one. The beer I am speaking of is their Hibernation Ale - English-Style Old Ale. For those less-informed, old ales tend to be very malty, not too bitter, but usually rank high on the ABV (Alcohol by Volume) scale. This one is 8.7%.




This brewery's beer has only recently been distributed in Southern California. By recently, I mean within this past month. Since old ales are very similar to barley wines, I somewhat knew what to expect with this beer. However, as with any beer I've never tried, I tend to keep an open mind. This was absolutely delicious. Roasted malts, molasses, and toffee on the nose. Thin, off-white head with a deep mahogany color to the brew. On the tongue, there is some sudden alcohol with some roasted malts, toffee, and a sweet finish. After taste is somewhat like dark chocolate, and while being a bit bitter, not too much. I would definitely buy this again. The bottle says, in terms of pairings:

"Roomano, an aged hard Dutch cow's milk cheese, grilled beef tenderloin, apple crisp with ginger ice cream."

Take that for what it's worth. Actually, this is my first typed out review of a beer. Congrats folks. You just experienced history. More are obviously to follow. That's all I suppose. I might post another one tomorrow after I head to the Bruery and get a bottle of 3 French Hens...