Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Lost Abbey: Avant Garde Ale

I recently read an article online about how well this beer would pair with a Thanksgiving dinner. Considering it is about that time of year, I decided to purchase one and keep it until I was ready to effectively analyze and review the ale. Tonight is my night.



I pop open the cork and let the ale breathe for about a minute. I then poor it into my Allagash goblet (I'm currently attempting to acquire the epic Lost Abbey goblet). The beer has a nice off-white head that sits nicely on top of the brew, and on a night like tonight, looks even more appetizing than ever. The color is nice and golden with a slight, and I mean slight, amber glow when held up to light. On the nose, I get lots of citrusy spice, malts, and even a bit of apple. The bottle describes this as a "Farmhouse Style Ale," so I'm actually not expecting anything to pop out and surprise me in terms of scent and flavor...

Farmhouse ales tend to be medium-bodied and meant for consumption during the summer months. Picture yourself on a farm, sitting on your front porch, strumming your guitar/banjo and watching the day go by as you consume numerous farmhouse ales in the process. It should be easy-drinking and something comfortable for the summer months. Granted, they do not need to be consumed in the summer but the image works better that way. Regardless of images, let's move to something more real: the flavor of the beer itself.

In terms of the flavors present within this beer, I was immediately struck by the alcohol when I first started swishing it around my tongue. This quickly decreased and then I found the beer to be rather full of flavors of grain and wheat. Then the citrus notes kicked in and it became somewhat fruity. This quickly subsided to make room for a slightly bitter and hoppy finish. The ale ranks in at 7% ABV and is quite delicious. Is there anything undeniably epic about this beer? Absolutely not. Yet, this is definitely a delicious farmhouse style ale and I would love to buy more next time summer comes around. Two of these mid-afternoon would sit fancy with me.

Now reverting back to the anecdote that began this review, I am posed with the question: "Would this beer pair well with Thanksgiving dinner?" In my opinion, it would. However, I would venture to say that this is more of an Easter beer. I think this would pair better with a ham over turkey, but it really doesn't matter I suppose. This is a great beer and a style that you do not always come across. I will most likely keep it on my radar for a hot day when all I want to do is relax with a brew. Lost Abbey, you have done it again. Patron sinner reporting for duty.