Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Green Flash/Pizza Port Carlsbad/Stone: Highway 78 Scotch Ale

Yesterday was quite a big day for Stone. Coming off of their Winter Storm week-long festival, they followed it up with the release of two new brews. The first is an "Odd-Year" Release of their Old Guardian Barley Wine. The second is a scotch ale, the first in their line of collaborative efforts in 2011. I knew heading to the Walnut Liquorette would guarantee acquisition of both brews. I was correct.

Now, as I sit here watching the Tottenham v. AC Milan Champions League clash with a 0-0 scoreline at halftime, I have decided to go ahead and get to tasting at least one of these beers. Considering I have to head to work tonight, I chose the smaller of the two (in reference to fluid ounces). This collaboration scotch ale is 8.8% ABV, so by no means do I expect this beer to be small in any way, shape, or form. Scotch ales, historically, spend a long time boiling which results in the wort caramelizing. They tend to be sweet, roasty, malty, full-bodied, and decently high in ABV.



I chose to use the Double Bastard glass for this beer, mainly because it seems to fit it better than a goblet or pint glass would. The beer pours a dark mahogany with red translucence. When held up to the light, it's a beautiful amber-red. There is little to no head on this ale, and lacing along the glass is non-existent. In terms of aromas, I get lots of sweet maltiness, candied notes, caramel, and even some smokiness. Flavor profile is pretty stereotypical for a scotch ale. It kicks off with lots of sweet maltiness like in its aromas (toffee, caramel, even some raisin in it), but as I swirl it around the flavor profile changes to a subtly dry finish. I love when I have something that comes out of Escondido that isn't heavy on the hoppy bitterness. Don't get me wrong, I love that flavor profile in a beer, but I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm glad I don't have to describe this as a "hoppy scotch ale." Perhaps the 15th Anniversary? I'm joking, obviously. Whenever you get three excellent breweries together, the end result will always benefit the craft beer drinker.

I digress, this is a nice, sweet, malty brew perfect for a day like today. When it is overcast in Southern California, it is more likely than not still in the high 60s or 70s (ºF). Why not relax in this confusing weather by having something malty, sweet, but also very balanced and mellow? I would recommend everybody getting their hands on a couple of these. Drink one now, put one away and drink it next year. I'm eager to see how this beer would change with age, and for only $3.49, why not grab a couple extra?  Well done, Green Flash/Pizza Port/Stone. You guys made, yet again, a helluva brew.