Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Stone Brewing Co: Old Guardian BELGO Barley Wine Style Ale

I know what you are all thinking: "Why does this guy review so many Stone brews?" Honestly, there's a simple answer to that question. Here in Southern California, Stone is quite popular, even to those that are not crazy about craft beers. I brought a bottle of Lukcy Basatrd to work and my manager said something like, "I've had some of those 'Bastard' beers before." Whenever Stone comes out with something new, it's exciting. There was a lot of controversy around this beer as well. Stone has been brewing their Old Guardian (OG) and their Imperial Russian Stout (IRS) for years upon years, and they wanted to shake things up this decade. This OG is made with Belgian yeast, which quite honestly has already changed the aroma as I cracked the bottle open. Stone decided to make these two staple, seasonal brews, into something different on the odd years (2011, 2013, etc). People like me were excited, while others were outraged that they wouldn't be able to get the yearly release of the traditional OG or IRS. So, because of this, Stone has decided to make both. What do I have to say to these people? I appreciate your passion for certain brews, but if you are passionate about craft beer, you most likely know a number of liquor stores that have great selections. In turn, they will most likely have last year's OG or IRS (already aged a year!). With that being said, I want to get to the beer considering this is the second review of the day.

I cannot remember the last year I had the OG out of a bottle from that specific year. Right now my favorite liquor store still has the 2007 OG for a decent price, so I have been purchasing those. I have some 08s, 09s, and 10s in my "cellar," which will most likely come out soon to make room. Anyways, the beer pours a nice, deep amber gold with about an inch of khaki head and minimal lacing. Malty aromas with powerful fruit characteristics. Apple, pear, and banana aromas mixed with caramel maltiness. Needless to say, I'm pretty enthralled with the complexities already present in this brew.



Now it is time to be honest with the flavors in this guy. It's huge and packs a punch for sure. Immediately I get the caramel malt flavors and even some of the fruity notes, but then suddenly these flavors clash with an excess of bitterness, dryness, and even slightly sour notes. The finish is all alcohol. At 12%, I was hoping this wouldn't be the case. I must also remember that I am used to having OGs aged a year or two already, so a fresh OG may very well have the strong alcohol on the finish. I might buy this year's traditional OG just to see. Either way, this is a young beer that for sure needs a year or two under its belt to mature into the brew I am hoping it will be. I'll put my other bottle that I purchased away in place for one of the older OGs. My recommendation goes as follows: Buy two, try one, and set the other aside for next spring.